Monday, April 6, 2015

Artemisia photo shoot

At long last, I have some great pictures of my Artemisia costume! Many many thanks to Terry Fogerson for the pictures.


Hair swish

Spikes! (yikes?)




Danger lurking in the shadows





We found a little serpent friend while taking pictures!

Attack!



Bonus: Here's a really silly picture!  It was windy so there are probably a hundred pictures of me spitting hair out of my mouth. But I thought this one was really funny.


Friday, March 27, 2015

craft with all the things!

I thought this was entertaining, so here's a little mini post before I show you costume pictures! This is a list of all of the stuff I used to make Artemisia, in no particular order.

Materials:
oiled leather
worbla
InstaMorph
linen
cotton
lamé knit
cotton knit
bucket rivets
dome rivets
nuts and bolts
washers
plastic eagle claws
craft foam
eva foam floor mat
wooden dowel
elastic
velcro
magnets
paint
mod podge
varnish sealer
hot glue
E-6000 glue
wood glue
grosgrain ribbon
thread
hook and bars
snaps
beads

Tools:
heat gun
hot glue gun
dremel
rivet setters
hammer
x-acto blade
box knife
sand paper
scissors
pliars
brushes
iron
leather punch
power drill
leather needles
sewing machine


I'm probably missing some things in both categories but that's a quick list!

And a not very good picture of everything set out.



Happy crafting!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Comicon

Emerald City Comicon is this weekend! This. Weekend. Needless to say I still have some finishing touches to put on my Artemisia costume, but it is very very close. I'm looking forward to sharing pictures after the con is finished up!

In the meantime, here's a look at the swords when they were very nearly complete :)



Thursday, March 5, 2015

Artimisia update

Hello, hello! I've been busy working away on my costume for Emerald City Comic Con which is quickly approaching, but I figured I could take a moment and share some progress with you. Last time I put up some pictures of my swords in progress (they are still in progress) but today I have some pictures of the actual costume!

So, here we go:

patterning for the back spikes

and more patterning

spikes in foam


spikes coated in worbla thermoplastic

painting the spikes

marking the holes for the rivets in the back piece

Spikes are attached!

close up of the rivets. There was a little damage to the paint during the riveting process so a few touch ups are needed.



I only have a couple of weeks left until the Con so it will have to be done by then. For now, back to paining!


Saturday, January 31, 2015

Costume work

Hey guys, it's been a while hasn't it! I have been busy working away on my Artemisia costume and I have to say it is coming along quite well. I got all my thermoplastic work finished up, which is good since I'm now completely out of worbla, and now I'm on to finishing and painting and riveting. Also still need to make a skirt, but I'll get there. Anyways, progress pics? These are mostly of the swords plus a few of the spine piece.

Scale drawing for the pair of swords.

Shot of the detail work. This is about where I started thinking "what have I gotten myself into?!"

Cuttin out the foam.

Carving out the center for the dowel.

Sanding down the edges of the blades.

Candy colored swords!

Adding the detail lines to the hilt to be carved out.


Patterning for the spine spikes.

Patterning for the vertebrae.

Spikey!


Adding some details and using up scraps.

Finished detail on the hilts.

Swords pre-paint.
Testing out the spikes on the body.

And from the back.

Anywho, that's a lot of pictures so I'll stop for now. I'll try to put some more up when I get the painting for the bodice pieces done. Should be soon!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas tree topper!

So, did you figure out what my teaser picture project was going to be? There was a hint on the left side of the picture.

Well I'm happy to say he's all finished and ready for Christmas!

TA-DA! Bumbles the Abominable Snow Monster of the North!

And lookie what he can do!





This idea was spawned a few weeks ago, well, Thanksgiving weekend actually, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Rudolph has always been my favorite holiday movie, and as much as I adore that poor unwanted polka-dot elephant, I thought Bumbles here would make a better tree topper. I did make him a star to put on top of the tree but I haven't decided if I want to attach it or not.

Anywho, here are some progress shots of working on Bumbles.

First I drew a little sketch to help me keep the proportions accurate. Then I made a wire skeleton. This is before I put the arms on, which are a softer wire so they can be repositioned easily.

Then out came the sculpy clay.

Little feet look like loafers with toes.

Here's the clay pieces all ready to bake. Also, that is the star that I can't make up my mind about.
You may have noticed the little holes around the edges of all the clay pieces. Well, those were sewing holes.

This one's a bit blurry but it's the only photo I have of putting the pieces together.
First I made the legs, then put the skeleton in them and stuffed around it. Then the body sewn to the legs and up the sides then stuffed up to the chest. Next the arms, stuffed the arms, sewed up the rest of the body and stuffed it. I stuffed the head separately and then stitched it onto the body.

Whew! Now he's ready to chill in the tree.

  
 
My little man helped decorate the tree.

And here it is all finished with the new topper and tree skirt!


And now, just for giggles, Bumbles making a new friend.