Earlier this year (months ago in fact) I came across this fantastic idea (as well as the pattern) for a little bird mobile and I had to make one: first because I love birds, and second because I might have a few too many fabric scraps laying around.
I started making the birds over the summer and although the first one turned out rather cute, it was gigantic! I re-printed the pattern in 1/2 size. Here is the difference I ended up with:
So I made up a bunch of the little birds:
Next I needed to get some sticks for the birds to sit on in the mobile. Conveniently there was a well timed wind storm and the tree in my front yard dropped a large branch which I cut up into smaller pieces.
After a last minute run to the hardware store and some rummaging through my craft supplies I had everything necessary to start constructing the mobile.
Next I trimmed my sticks down to size:
And started constructing from the bottom up. The first (lowest) layer was the hardest mainly because I was still trying to get the hang of the balancing everything. I used some small pebbles to help counter the weight of the sticks and birds.
And two hours later, here it is!
I used small eye hooks screwed into the sticks to keep them from spinning down. For the string I used waxed Irish linen thread for its knot holding abilities. I stitched my birds onto their perches but I also used a dab of hot glue to keep them from spinning.
On an unrelated note, I received a new cookbook in the mail today! Expect goodies soon.
Post a Comment